I receive many emails from people asking me which are the best luxurious hotels in Athens and which the budget ones! Although, answering and interacting with each of you is totally fun and one of the main reasons that I write this blog, I thought that I should create a relevant post. Now, because my current work is between London and Athens, many times I come to Athens and stay at hotels in the centre. That’s why I collected the best luxurious hotels in Athens and also some extra tips if you intend to come to this great city for the first time.
Quickly: Where to stay in Athens
- If you are coming for a short period and you prefer to stay in the centre (which is my recommendation as well), then you have 4 basic areas as options, Plaka, Monastiraki, Koukaki, Syntagma. There is also an upcoming area Keramikos, which used to be a little rough, but new restaurants and bars and hotels have opened and they have boosted the area.
- Athens has a beautiful historical centre which includes Syntagma, Plaka, Monastiraki, Thiseio and Anafpliotika, where you can walk around and avoid the areas outside of the centre where objectively are not so nice!
- We think that a period of 3 days is enough to see the basics points of the capital of Greece.
- The best luxury hotel in Athens is the Grande Bretagne on Syntagma Square.
- The best bars in central Athens is Noel Bar and the Clumsies in the centre and have been voted as some of the best cocktails bars in the world!
- The best restaurant for us is Spondi if you are looking for something elegant.
The Best Hotels in Athens
Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel – Syntagma Square
Probably the best hotel in Athens, which is located opposite Syntagma Square and the House of Parliament and in walking distance to nearly all major attractions. From Grande Bretagne’s roof Garden Restaurant you can see the original Olympic Stadium as you dive into the pool! Also, it has a breathtaking view to Acropolis and Parthenon and of course to the opposite parliament building. Check the prices here!
Electra Metropolis – Plaka
This 5-star hotel is situated in a fantastic location, very close from Syntagma Square. Electra Metropolis has a sun terrace and views of the city rooftop restaurant, which it is worth a visit even if you’re not a guest!! Check the prices here!
King George, a Luxury Collection Hotel – Next to Syntagma Square
Next to Hotel Grande Bretagne is another 5-star hotel between the Parliament and the fashionable Voukourestiou Street.
Enjoying panoramic views of the Athens City from the seventh floor, it lies within a short walk from Acropolis and the old area of Plaka! Check the prices here!
Hilton Athens – Next to Kolonaki
Hilton in Athens is also a 5-star hotel with a stylish rooftop Galaxy Bar, which offers Acropolis views from its open-air terrace. The hotel is very close from the National Art Gallery, the Athens Concert Hall and the Kolonaki shopping district. Check the prices here!
AthensWas Hotel – Plaka
The location of this hotel is totally spot on. It is situated in Dionysiou Areopagitou, the most scenic pedestrian street in Athens and opposite of the Acropolis and the New Acropolis Museum! Also, the Temple of Olympion Zeus is a few steps away and Syntagma Square is a 10-minute walk away. What else can you ask for?! Check the prices here!
Coco-Mat Hotel Athens – Kolonaki
Coco-Mat Hotel is located in one of the most high-end districts of Athens, in Kolonaki. The hotel is really comfortable, with a beautiful roof terrace with excellent views! The surrounding area has everything that you might want, from trendy bars to restaurants and premium boutiques. Check the prices here!
This is a new entry to Athens Hotel scene! We certainly love the rooftop swimming pool and the bar-restaurant with panoramic views of the Acropolis! The hotel has really invested in high-end facilities and beautiful decoration. It is located in an area that used to be a little bit rough, but now it is very upcoming and trendy with many bars and restaurants and it’s close to two Michelin star restaurant Funky Gourmet! Check the prices here!
Another well-located hotel very close to Metropolis Greek Orthodox church and to Monastiraki and Syntagma Square. We also had observed that often Zillers Boutique provides a very good value for money! So, think about it! Check the prices here!
Here is the map with all the best luxurious hotels in Athens. If you have any question, please just ask us!