Updated on 03/12/2022! I receive many emails from people asking me about the best hotels in Athens!
Although answering and interacting with each of you is fun and one of the main reasons I write this blog, I thought I should create a relevant post with the best places to stay in Athens!!
In the last years, there is a total explosion of hotels in Athens and almost every month there is a new hotel opening! Even now, after hard years for the tourism due to coronavirus, new hotel openings have been scheduled for 2023!
You will also find some of the most luxurious hotels, some new ones, and some affordable ones on our list below. You also find tips, photos and a detailed map with all the mentioned hotels just for you, to know exactly where the hotels are located and what they offer!
Update: Due to Coronavirus, it might be another “special” summer. We wrote an article (more information here!) to explain the current measures and situation, and we will update it as often as possible.
Also, I added some extra tips if you intend to come to this great city!
- Find more about what to do in Athens here!
- Athens has a beautiful historic centre, including Syntagma, Plaka, Monastiraki, Thiseio and Anafpliotika, where you can walk around and avoid the areas outside the centre that are not so nice!
- I think that a period of 3 days is enough to see the basics points of the capital of Greece.
- I believe that the best months to visit Athens are May, September to October, but you can check here for details and tables!
- The best luxury hotel in Athens is the Grande Bretagne on Syntagma Square.
- The best value for money hotels are A for Athens, 360 Degrees (Monastiraki), Athinas Street Inn (Monastiraki) and Best Western Plus Amazon (Monastiraki)
- The best hotel for business Athens Marriott Hotel, The Modernist Athens (new one!)
- The best bars in central Athens is Noel Bar and the Clumsies in the centre and have been voted as two of the best cocktails bars in the world! A classic choice is, of course, Brettos in Plaka and if you like rooftops Couleur Locale in Monastiraki is a must choice for a drink or coffee.
- If you want to taste Greek affordable cuisine, we recommend Liondi Traditional Greek Restaurant or Lithos in Psyri.
- Airbnb is always a choice, but personally, I prefer Booking.com, as now they include apartments and houses on their platform, and they still offer the option to cancel the booking in many cases.
- Best tours: Acropolis & Acropolis Museum (5-hour Tour), Original Gourmet Food Tours, A Cooking Lesson & Dinner (4 hours) and Delphi Day Trip from Athens
- You can find our detailed and dedicated travel guide about Athens here!
Where to stay in Athens
If you are coming for a short period and prefer to stay in the centre (which is my recommendation as well!), there 4 primary areas as options: Plaka, Monastiraki, Koukaki, Syntagma. There is also an upcoming area of Keramikos, which used to be a little rough, but new restaurants and bars and hotels have opened, and they have boosted the area.
The Best and Most Luxurious Hotels in Athens
1. Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel – Syntagma Square
Probably the ultimate hotel luxury experience in Athens, which is situated opposite Syntagma Square and the House of Parliament and within walking distance to nearly all major attractions! The hotel is located within a historical building, with three restaurants, including one on the top floor with a spectacular view of the Parthenon and Acropolis, and you can admire the original Olympic Stadium as you dive into the pool! There is also a Spa and beauty salon, where you can spoil yourself! Breakfast is served in the restaurant on the 8th floor and offers a wide variety of traditional or continental breakfast. Take into account that this is a quite luxurious expensive hotel. Check the prices here!
2. Electra Metropolis – Plaka
This 5-star hotel is situated in a fantastic location with good access to all attractions and also Plaka. Electra Metropolis has a sun terrace and views of the city rooftop restaurant, which is worth a visit for a drink even if you’re not a guest!! Pool area a fabulous bonus! Check the prices here!
3. Ergon House – Monastiraki
It’s not just a new hotel, but it is an entirely new concept! It is one of the first (or maybe the first?) foodie hotels in the world!
It combines the areas of catering and hospitality uniquely, with a “covered” market from which visitors and customers can buy meat and fish products, a restaurant (which is a must!), communal kitchens for food workshops, a 38-room hotel and a covered patio overlooking the Acropolis!! It doesn’t sound too bad, right?!! Check the prices here!
4. Oniro City – Kolonaki
This is another new boutique hotel which is recently opened. The location is perfect, and the rooms clean, modern and spacious. Don’t forget to try their breakfast and especially the traditional Greek scrambled eggs “Strapatsada”! It is also well suited for business trips. Check the prices here!
5. Athens Marriott Hotel – Palio Faliro
It’s another recently renovated hotel which is not situated in the centre, but its location has some other advantages! It is located opposite the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center, an incredible cultural centre, and it is designed by Italian architect Renzo Piano that houses the National Library of Greece and the National Opera. It has a new and modern design, and it is ideal for business and leisure as it is quite close to the Athenian coast, the so-called “Athenian Riviera”! Check the prices here!
6. AthensWas Hotel – Plaka
Another top hotel with a spot-on location!! It is situated in Dionysiou Areopagitou street, the most scenic pedestrian street in Athens and opposite the Acropolis and the New Acropolis Museum! Also, the Temple of Olympian Zeus is a few steps away, and Syntagma Square is a 10-minute walk away. Check the prices here!
7. Coco-Mat Hotel Athens – Kolonaki
Coco-Mat Hotel is located in one of the most high-end districts of Athens, in Kolonaki. The hotel is really comfortable, with a beautiful roof terrace with excellent views! The surrounding area has everything that you might want, from trendy bars to restaurants and premium boutiques. Check the prices here!
They have recently opened a new hotel called Coco-mat Athens BC and is next to the Acropolis museum!
9. Wyndham Grand Athens – Metaxourgeio
At the end of 2016, this hotel has been reopened, totally renovated. I certainly love the rooftop swimming pool and the bar restaurant with panoramic views of the Acropolis! The hotel has really invested in high-end facilities and beautiful decoration. It is located in an area that used to be a little bit rough, but now it is very upcoming and trendy with many bars and restaurants. You can visit one of my favourite bars; Beauty Killed the Beast and a new restaurant Proveleggios! Check the prices here!
10. The Zillers Boutique Hotel – Monastiraki
Another well-located hotel, very close to Metropolis Greek Orthodox church and Monastiraki and Syntagma Square. Even if you don’t book this hotel, you can visit its rooftop as it offers excellent food together with stunning views of the Parthenon. Take also into account that often Zillers Boutique provides an excellent value for money! So, think about it! Check the prices here!
The location is terrific, right in the heart of literally everything. The rooms are modern and quiet. The highlight of this hotel is the bar and restaurant on the rooftop with the best views of the Acropolis and the sunset! I recommend it as a good value for money! Check the prices here!
This is another 5-star hotel with incredible views. Beautiful hotel decoration and a great breakfast! The neighbourhood is probably the best one in Athens. It’s in the Kolonaki area, and you can walk to the nicest restaurants and stylish bars in Athens. Check the prices here!
I won’t say too much about this hotel. Design. Cleanliness. Great breakfast. Very well located within walking distance of most of the cultural places. It’s near Syntagma station, and even if you’re not using public transportation much, you’ll have most of the significant sightseeing and shopping destinations nearby. Check the prices here!
14. Athens Capital Center Hotel – MGallery Collection -Syntagma Square
This is another new and great entry in the Athenian Hotel scene! It is located right in the city’s heart, next to all the shops, restaurants and bar. The heated rooftop pool, I think, is quite special with beautiful views! You will find different rooms looking inside the courtyard or the city (which I always prefer!). Check the prices here!
15. The Modernist Athens – Kolonaki
Another new hotel at the end of 2020! It is brand new and super clean! It is located in the Kolonaki area, next to Evagelismos metro station, which is on the direct line to and from the airport! From the rooftop, you will definitely enjoy the garden and the Acropolis! It is a perfect choice, especially for business travel! Check the prices here!
This is an excellent boutique hotel in the heart of Athens! We stayed at the Junior Suite, and it was just lovely! The 1920s Art Deco building is located very close to the ancient Agora and Acropolis. You can enjoy your drink at the terrace admiring incredible Acropolis views! It is recently renovated, and it has the original Athenian character! The host, Thodoris, is super helpful and can recommend the best places in Athens! Note that you should expect some noise due to its very central location, but nothing too much as it has double glazed windows! Highly recommended! Check the prices here!