I receive many emails from people asking me about the best hotels in Athens and also about the more affordable ones! Although, answering and interacting with each of you is totally fun and one of the main reasons that I write this blog, I thought I should create a relevant post!
Now, because my current work is between London and Athens, many times I come to Athens and stay at hotels in the centre.
The last years, there is a total explosion on hotels in Athens and almost every week there a new hotel opening! I am not kidding! It’s true!
I try to keep this list updated adding new and interesting hotels! Feel free to leave a comment if you have any other suggestion!
On this post, I collected the best hotels and apartments in Athens with photos and a detailed map, so you can decide based also on the location. Also, I added some extra tips if you intend to come to this great city!
Quickly: Where to stay in Athens
- If you are coming for a short period and you prefer to stay in the centre (which is my recommendation as well), then you have 4 basic areas as options, Plaka, Monastiraki, Koukaki, Syntagma. There is also an upcoming area of Keramikos, which used to be a little rough, but new restaurants and bars and hotels have opened and they have boosted the area.
- Athens has a beautiful historical centre which includes Syntagma, Plaka, Monastiraki, Thiseio and Anafpliotika, where you can walk around and avoid the areas outside of the centre which objectively are not so nice!
- I think that a period of 3 days is enough to see the basics points of the capital of Greece.
- The best luxury hotel in Athens is the Grande Bretagne on Syntagma Square.
- The best value for money hotels are A for Athens, 360 Degrees (Monastiraki), Athinas Street Inn, (Monastiraki) and Best Western Plus Amazon (Monastiraki)
- The best hotel for business Athens Marriott Hotel
- The best bars in central Athens is Noel Bar and the Clumsies in the centre and have been voted as some of the best cocktails bars in the world! A classic choice is, of course, Brettos in Plaka and if you like rooftops Couleur Locale in Monastiraki is a must choice for a drink or coffee.
- If you want to taste Greek affordable cuisine then, we recommend Liondi Traditional Greek Restaurant or Lithos in Psyri.
- Airbnb is always a choice, but personally, I prefer Booking.com, as now they include apartments and houses as well on their platform and they still offer the option to cancel the booking in many cases.
- Best tours: Acropolis & Acropolis Museum (5-hour Tour), Original Gourmet Food Tours, A Cooking Lesson & Dinner (4 hours) and Delphi Day Trip from Athens
- Find more about What to do and more Tours and Activities Here!
The Best and most Luxurious Hotels in Athens
Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel – Syntagma Square
Probably the ultimate hotel luxury experience in Athens, which is located opposite Syntagma Square and the House of Parliament and in walking distance to nearly all major attractions! The Grande Bretagne roof garden restaurant offers amazingly delicious food whilst enjoying great views of the city and Acropolis! Also, you can see the original Olympic Stadium as you dive into the pool. I don’t think that you can ask for something else!! Take into account that this is a quite luxurious an expensive hotel. Check the prices here!
Electra Metropolis – Plaka
This 5-star hotel is situated in a fantastic location with good access to all attractions and also Plaka. Electra Metropolis has a sun terrace and views of the city rooftop restaurant, which is worth a visit even if you’re not a guest!! Pool area a fabulous bonus! Check the prices here!
Ergon House – Monastiraki
This is not just a new hotel. This is an entirely new concept! It is one of the first (or maybe the first?) foodie hotels in the world!
It combines in a unique way the areas of catering and hospitality, with a “covered” market from which visitors and customers can buy meat and fish products, a restaurant (which is a must!), communal kitchens for food workshops, a 38-room hotel and a covered patio overlooking the Acropolis!! Not sure if I have to write anything else! Check the prices here!
Oniro City – Kolonaki
This is another new boutique hotel which is recently opened. The location is perfect and the rooms clean, modern and spacious. Don’t forget to try their breakfast and especially the traditional Greek scrambled eggs “Strapatsada”! It is also well suited for business trips. Check the prices here!
Another recently renovated hotel which is located opposite the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center, an amazing cultural centre, which is designed by Italian architect Renzo Piano that houses the National Library of Greece and the National Opera. It has a new and modern design and it is ideal for business and leisure as it is quite close to Athenian Riviera! Check the prices here!
AthensWas Hotel – Plaka
The location of this hotel is totally spot on. It is situated in Dionysiou Areopagitou, the most scenic pedestrian street in Athens and opposite of the Acropolis and the New Acropolis Museum! Also, the Temple of Olympian Zeus is a few steps away and Syntagma Square is a 10-minute walk away. Check the prices here!
Coco-Mat Hotel Athens – Kolonaki
Coco-Mat Hotel is located in one of the most high-end districts of Athens, in Kolonaki. The hotel is really comfortable, with a beautiful roof terrace with excellent views! The surrounding area has everything that you might want, from trendy bars to restaurants and premium boutiques. Check the prices here!
This is also a recent entry to the Athenian Hotel scene! I certainly love the rooftop swimming pool and the bar-restaurant with panoramic views of the Acropolis! The hotel has really invested in high-end facilities and beautiful decoration. It is located in an area that used to be a little bit rough, but now it is very upcoming and trendy with many bars and restaurants and it’s close to two Michelin star restaurant Funky Gourmet! Check the prices here!
Another well-located hotel, very close to Metropolis Greek Orthodox church and to Monastiraki and Syntagma Square. Even if you don’t book this hotel, you can visit its rooftop as it offers excellent food together with stunning views of Parthenon. Take also into account that often Zillers Boutique provides a very good value for money! So, think about it! Check the prices here!
The location is absolutely amazing, right in the heart of literally everything. The rooms are modern and quiet. The highlight is the bar and restaurant at the rooftop with the best views to the Acropolis and the sunset! Personally, I recommend it as good value for money! Check the prices here!
Hotels with the best location and Affordable
It has an incredible terrace with a stunning view to Acropolis and it is next – literally a few meters – to Monastiraki station, which makes it ideal if you want to catch the train to Piraeus and visit some of the best Greek islands. Its rooftop gets extremely popular as it has excellent cocktails and views that really will astonish you! Check the prices here!
Amazing location, 200 meters from the Acropolis Museum and the Temple of Olympian Zeus next to the historical Plaka area. Check the prices here!
This hotel is maybe the definition of good value for money. The location is spot on, in the middle of everything and there is a direct train from the airport! Everything is literally a walking distance from restaurants and bars and next to the flea market. Quite impressive is the breakfast, which is served on the top floor restaurant with an amazing view of (can you imagine what?!) the Acropolis! Check the prices here!
If you are looking for a clean hotel in a central location and in the budget, then this would one of your choices for sure. It is close to Omonia station, which used to be rough but it is getting better and to lively Monastiraki, featuring an array of taverns and traditional shops. Check the prices here!
This probably the most affordable hotel that we recommend. It is not a luxurious one for sure, but it provides a nice stay in a perfect location. Check the prices here!
This apartment has a really fantastic location, just across from Acropolis Museum!! Everything is clean and recently renovated. The apartment has 2 bathrooms which is always a plus for 4 guests! Marina is an incredible host and can help with airport transfer arrangements etc. Check the prices here!
Find more about What to do in Athens and more Tours and Activities Here!
Finally, find the 7 +1 museums in Athens that you have to visit Here and the complete travel guide about Athens here!
If you have any question, leave a comment!