I receive many emails from people asking me about the best hotels in Athens and also about the more affordable ones! Although, answering and interacting with each of you is fun and one of the main reasons that I write this blog, I thought I should create a relevant post with the best places to stay in Athens!!
In the last years, there is a total explosion of hotels in Athens and almost every month there is a new hotel opening! Even now during this difficult coronavirus period, new hotel openings have been scheduled for 2021!
On our list below, you will find also some of the most luxurious hotels, some new ones, some affordable ones and also tips, photos and a detailed map with all the mentioned hotels just for you, to know exactly where the hotels are located and what they offer!
Update: Due to Coronavirus, we might enjoy again a “special” summer. We wrote an article (more information here!) where we explain the current measures and situation, and we will update it as often as possible.
Also, I added some extra tips if you intend to come to this great city!
Quickly: Where to stay in Athens
- You can find our detailed and dedicated travel guide about Athens here!
- If you are coming for a short period and you prefer to stay in the centre (which is my recommendation as well!), then there 4 primary areas as options, Plaka, Monastiraki, Koukaki, Syntagma. There is also an upcoming area of Keramikos, which used to be a little rough, but new restaurants and bars and hotels have opened, and they have boosted the area.
- Athens has a beautiful historical centre which includes Syntagma, Plaka, Monastiraki, Thiseio and Anafpliotika, where you can walk around and avoid the areas outside of the centre which objectively are not so nice!
- I think that a period of 3 days is enough to see the basics points of the capital of Greece.
- I believe that the best months to visit Athens are May, September to October, but you can check here with details and tables!
- The best luxury hotel in Athens is the Grande Bretagne on Syntagma Square.
- The best value for money hotels are A for Athens, 360 Degrees (Monastiraki), Athinas Street Inn, (Monastiraki) and Best Western Plus Amazon (Monastiraki)
- The best hotel for business Athens Marriott Hotel, The Modernist Athens (new one!)
- The best bars in central Athens is Noel Bar and the Clumsies in the centre and have been voted as two of the best cocktails bars in the world! A classic choice is, of course, Brettos in Plaka and if you like rooftops Couleur Locale in Monastiraki is a must choice for a drink or coffee.
- If you want to taste Greek affordable cuisine then, we recommend Liondi Traditional Greek Restaurant or Lithos in Psyri.
- Airbnb is always a choice, but personally, I prefer Booking.com, as now they include apartments and houses as well on their platform and they still offer the option to cancel the booking in many cases.
- Best tours: Acropolis & Acropolis Museum (5-hour Tour), Original Gourmet Food Tours, A Cooking Lesson & Dinner (4 hours) and Delphi Day Trip from Athens
- Find more about What to do and more Tours and Activities Here!
The Best and Most Luxurious Hotels in Athens
1. Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel – Syntagma Square
Probably the ultimate hotel luxury experience in Athens, which is situated opposite Syntagma Square and the House of Parliament and within walking distance to nearly all major attractions! The hotel is located within a historical building, with three restaurants, including one on the top floor with a spectacular view of the Parthenon and Acropolis and you can see the original Olympic Stadium as you dive into the pool! There is also a Spa and beauty salon, where you can spoil yourself! Breakfast is served in the restaurant on the 8th floor and offers a wide variety of traditional or continental breakfast. Take into account that this is a quite luxurious expensive hotel. Check the prices here!
2. Electra Metropolis – Plaka
This 5-star hotel is situated in a fantastic location with good access to all attractions and also Plaka. Electra Metropolis has a sun terrace and views of the city rooftop restaurant, which is worth a visit for a drink even if you’re not a guest!! Pool area a fabulous bonus! Check the prices here!
3. Ergon House – Monastiraki
It’s not just a new hotel, but it is an entirely new concept! It is one of the first (or maybe the first?) foodie hotels in the world!
It combines the areas of catering and hospitality uniquely, with a “covered” market from which visitors and customers can buy meat and fish products, a restaurant (which is a must!), communal kitchens for food workshops, a 38-room hotel and a covered patio overlooking the Acropolis!! It doesn’t sound too bad, right?!! Check the prices here!
4. Oniro City – Kolonaki
This is another new boutique hotel which is recently opened. The location is perfect and the rooms clean, modern and spacious. Don’t forget to try their breakfast and especially the traditional Greek scrambled eggs “Strapatsada”! It is also well suited for business trips. Check the prices here!
5. Athens Marriott Hotel – Palio Faliro
It’s another recently renovated hotel which is not situated in the centre but its location has some other advantages! It is located opposite the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center, an incredible cultural centre, and it is designed by Italian architect Renzo Piano that houses the National Library of Greece and the National Opera. It has a new and modern design, and it is ideal for business and leisure as it is quite close to the Athenian coast, the so-called “Athenian Riviera”! Check the prices here!
6. AthensWas Hotel – Plaka
Another top hotel with a spot-on location!! It is situated in Dionysiou Areopagitou street, the most scenic pedestrian street in Athens and opposite the Acropolis and the New Acropolis Museum! Also, the Temple of Olympian Zeus is a few steps away, and Syntagma Square is a 10-minute walk away. Check the prices here!
7. Coco-Mat Hotel Athens – Kolonaki
Coco-Mat Hotel is located in one of the most high-end districts of Athens, in Kolonaki. The hotel is really comfortable, with a beautiful roof terrace with excellent views! The surrounding area has everything that you might want, from trendy bars to restaurants and premium boutiques. Check the prices here!
Recently they have opened a new hotel, which is called Coco-mat Athens BC and it is next to the Acropolis museum!
9. Wyndham Grand Athens – Metaxourgeio
At the end of 2016, this hotel has been reopened, totally renovated. I certainly love the rooftop swimming pool and the bar-restaurant with panoramic views of the Acropolis! The hotel has really invested in high-end facilities and beautiful decoration. It is located in an area that used to be a little bit rough, but now it is very upcoming and trendy with many bars and restaurants. You can visit from there one of my favourite bars, Beauty Killed the Beast and a new restaurant Proveleggios! Check the prices here!
10. The Zillers Boutique Hotel – Monastiraki
Another well-located hotel, very close to Metropolis Greek Orthodox church and Monastiraki and Syntagma Square. Even if you don’t book this hotel, you can visit its rooftop as it offers excellent food together with stunning views of the Parthenon. Take also into account that often Zillers Boutique provides an excellent value for money! So, think about it! Check the prices here!
The location is terrific, right in the heart of literally everything. The rooms are modern and quiet. The highlight of this hotel is the bar and restaurant on the rooftop with the best views of the Acropolis and the sunset! I recommend it as a good value for money! Check the prices here!
This is another 5-star hotel with incredible views. Beautiful hotel decoration and a great breakfast! The neighbourhood is probably the best one in Athens. It’s in the Kolonaki area, and you can walk to the nicest restaurants and stylish bars in Athens. Check the prices here!
I won’t say too much about this hotel. Design. Cleanliness. Great breakfast. Very well located within walking distance of most of the cultural places. It’s near Syntagma station, and even if you’re not using public transportation much, you’ll have most of the significant sightseeing and shopping destinations nearby. Check the prices here!
14. Athens Capital Center Hotel – MGallery Collection -Syntagma Square
This is another new and great entry in the Athenian Hotel scene! It is located right in the heart of the city, next to all the shops, restaurants and bar. The heated rooftop pool, I think is quite special with beautiful views! You will find different rooms looking inside the courtyard or to the city (which I always prefer!). Check the prices here!
15. The Modernist Athens – Kolonaki
Another new hotel at the end of 2020! It is brand new and super clean! It is located in the Kolonaki area, next to Evagelismos metro station, which is on the direct line to and from the airport! From the rooftop, you will definitely enjoy the garden and the Acropolis! It is a perfect choice, especially for business travel! Check the prices here!
Hotels with the best location and Affordable
It has an incredible terrace with a stunning view to Acropolis, and it is next – literally a few meters – to Monastiraki station, which makes it ideal if you want to catch the train to Piraeus and visit some of the best Greek islands. Its rooftop gets extremely popular as it has excellent cocktails and views that really will astonish you! Check the prices here!
Fantastic location, 200 meters from the Acropolis Museum and the Temple of Olympian Zeus next to the historical Plaka area. Check the prices here!
This hotel is maybe the definition of good value for money. The location is spot on, in the middle of everything and there is a direct train from the airport! Everything is a walking distance from restaurants and bars and next to the flea market. Quite impressive is the breakfast, which is served on the top floor restaurant with a fantastic view of (can you imagine what?!) the Acropolis! Check the prices here!
If you are looking for a clean hotel in a central location and the budget, then this would be one of your choices for sure. It is close to Omonia station, which used to be rough, but it is getting better and to lively Monastiraki, featuring an array of taverns and traditional shops. Check the prices here!
20. Best Western Plus Amazon – Plaka
21. BED in Athens – Psiri
This is a nice place for a long weekend in Athens. It is a recently open hotel in the buzzing area of the centre of Athens, which means that everything is brand new! Just around the hotel, you can find hundreds of restaurants, bars, clubs and shops. The only negative I could say that just don’t expect nice views from the windows! Check the prices here!
22. Phaedra Hotel – Plaka
This probably the most affordable hotel that we recommend. It is not a luxurious one for sure, but it provides a lovely stay in a perfect location. Check the prices here!
23. Absolute Athens – Koukaki
This apartment has a fantastic location, just across from Acropolis Museum!! Everything is clean and recently renovated. The apartment has two bathrooms which are always a plus for four guests! Marina is an incredible host and can help with airport transfer arrangements etc. Check the prices here!
Find more about What to do in Athens and more Tours and Activities Here!
Finally, find the 7 +1 museums in Athens that you have to visit Here and the complete travel guide about Athens here!
If you have any question or you want to add your recommendation to our top hotels’ list, then leave a comment!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, which means that I get a small fee when you book a hotel. It costs nothing extra to you but helps keep my site running.